Welcome to the ultimate feast with our favorite, savory top round roast recipe. This dish is a centerpiece of many holiday meals and family gatherings, offering both succulent flavors and wholesome satisfaction. This guide provides a step-by-step walkthrough on how to perfectly cook a top round roast.
About the Dish
A top round roast is a relatively lean cut of beef from the hindquarters of the cow, a muscle that doesn’t see much action, and is hence tender and full of flavor. Prepared right, it can form an irresistible centerpiece to any dinner or festive feast due to its rich taste and aroma.
For the top round roast recipe, you will need:
- 3-pound top round roast
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried rosemary
Preparation and Cooking Time
The preparation time for this recipe is about 15 minutes, and the cooking time is approximately 90 minutes.
To make our top round roast recipe, you will require:
- A roasting pan
- A wire rack
- An instant-read thermometer
Here are the steps to create your mouthwatering roast:
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Place the roast on a wire rack in your roasting pan. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary. Rub this mixture all over the roast. Once the oven is ready, insert the roast and cook for about 1.5 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 130°F (54°C) for medium-rare. Let the roast rest for about 15 minutes before carving.
Tips and Tricks
Here are a few tips to ensure successful cooking:
- Always let the beef rest after cooking. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the roast, resulting in a moister, more flavorful dish.
- An instant-read thermometer is a vital kitchen tool to ensure your roast is perfectly cooked. Investing in one can save you from over or under-cooked meat.
- The dry rub can enhance the savory flavors of the beef. Experiment by adding your own touch with spices you love. Just be careful not to overwhelm the beef’s natural flavor.
Preparing a top round roast may initially seem intimidating, but following the steps outlined in this top round roast recipe will result in a meal that is sumptuously satisfying. It’s also a great way to impress your guests at dinner parties or make a regular weekday dinner remarkably special. Bon appétit!